Francis Obioma Ashamkonye has itemized 57 reasons why Imolites should celebrate the immediate past governor of Imo state, Senator Rochas Okorocha who turned 57 years old recently.
While it is important to note that some of these projects listed below are still being subjected to scrutiny and criticized by the present Governor Emeka Ihedioha led government, it is still worth while to read the list as compiled by Ashamkonye who is a loyalist of the former governor.
1. Owelle sacrificed Security votes for 8 years to ensure free education in Imo state from primary to tertiary level.
2. Owelle beautified the state capital by building 8 lanes roads in Owerri to ease traffic congestion; constructed De Sam Mbakwe road; Ellen Johnson road; Zuma road; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th inland roads in Owerri.
3. Owelle built Owerri City school at Wetheral road, City primary school at fire service round about, Girls secondary school along Okigwe road, all brand new schools in Owerri.
4. Owelle reconstructed and rebranded old schools like Emmanuel College, Governmett College, Akwakuma girls, Ikenegbu girl and host of our secondary schools in the 305 INEC wards.
5. Owelle built 6 new higher institutions in Imo
6. Owelle constructed Imo international Cargo Airport
7. Owelle introduced first ever air line for the state known as Imo Air.
8. Owelle made 305 youths from 305 INEC wards in Imo state millionnaires by giving them one million each to start a business.
9. Owelle paid 12 years arrears of pension owed pensioners by the previous administration on inception.
10. Owelle built a total of 27 general hospitals, one in each local government in the state. Some of them were completed and have started working like the ones in Ikeduru and Owerri North. The general hospital in Owerri North was handed over to Nigerian Air force.
11. Owelle constructed roads in almost every community in IMO today.
12. Owelle built Imo International Conference Centre (IICC)
13. Owelle completed the Imo Trade and investment centre, Owerri.
14. Owelle built New Chapel in government House, the first ever in the history of IMO state.
15. Owelle constructed new Police headquarters along Port Harcourt road.
16. Owelle built new Prison quarters.
17. Owelle constructed world class Justice Oputa Federal High court in Owerri.
18. Owelle constructed an office for the National Union of Journalist (NUJ).
19. Owelle built a new Office for the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN)
20. Owelle built Labour House, IMO state chapter along new Owerri
21. Owelle constructed Heroes square.
22. Owelle constructed Freedom Square.
23. Owelle completed the first ever fly-overs at Amakohia and Orji respectively.
24. Owelle constructed two tunnels in IMO at the concord junction and house of Assembly junction respectively.
25. Owelle introduced fourth tier of Government that took care of the sensitive issues of peace and security of the communities in collaboration with all the security networks that made IMO peaceful within these 8 years.
26. Owelle attracted World Leaders to Imo state through his Education Foundation where children of over 55 African nations are currently enjoying free Education.
27. Owelle, in a way of employment and security check set up, established the Imo Community Watch, Imo Security Network, and other state security agencies which engaged over 3000 Youths and maximally reduced crime.
30. Owelle constructed the world class Eze Imo Palace
31. Owelle constructed Imo International Exhibition centre.
32. Owelle’s Government offered Imo youths opportunity to serve.
33. Owelle’s Government through the office of the First Lady, built 305 bungalow apartments for Indigent women in the 305 INEC wards.
34. Owelle built Imo sports Ministry Office Complex.
35. Owelle built two standard sports Stadia in Okigwe and Orlu zones respectively.
36. Owelle built Odenigbo Guest House where the present Government operates from.
37. To reduce/stop accident involving school children, Owelle built pedestrian Bridges at various locations.
38. Owelle built solar powered, well furnished and equiped 27 ICT centres in all the LGAs.
39. Owelle built 27 Chapels in the 27 LGAs; a beautiful place of worship.
40. Okigwe has become a glorious city since Owelle dualized her major roads.
41. Owelle opened new roads in every community in Imo state through the Councillors.
42. There’s no Community in Imo state where Owelle did not asphalt road.
43. Owelle constructed new Government upon assumption of Office.
44. Owelle built new Secretary to the Government of Imo’s Office.
45. Owelle built Treasury Office behind Imo IICC.
46. Okorocha built Orlu shopping Mall.
47. Okorocha built Somto Hospital
48. Owelle built Free Mother and Child Hospital.
49. Owelle built Naze International market.
50. Owelle attracted RAMP project which have commenced the construction of over 400kms of Imo rural roads.
51. Owelle revamped Imo Concorde Hotel.
52. Owelle changed the old look of Imo Civil Servants; beautified each with suit and wardrobe allowances
53. Owelle revamped Adapalm thereby making it more functional and productive to the state IGR.
54. Owelle built Akachi prayer ground where Imolites commune to God.
55. Owelle Okorocha’s Government built confortable home for Motherless children and built and equipped Ochiedike diagnosis center.
56. Owelle constructed Pension house for Imo Pensioners
57. Owelle constructed the Ministry of Science and Technology block