The Management of the National Youth Service Corps says it has ensured the release of one of the seven female prospective corps members abducted in Zamfara.
This was made known in a press statement by Eddy Megwa, NYSC spokesperson, on Saturday.
According to the statement, the said female corps member was rescued on Friday at 12:30 pm “through the help of security agencies”, while expressing optimism that the rest of the abducted corps will be released.
A part of the statement read, “Management of the National Youth Service Corps wishes to convey to the general public that the Scheme, through the help of security agencies on Friday, 20th October 2023 at about 12.30 pm secured the release of one of the female Prospective Corps Members abducted in Zamfara, out of the seven in captivity and the bus driver.
The scheme is certain that with the combined efforts of security agencies, the remaining will be released”.
According to the report from PUNCH, gunmen had on August 19, 2023, abducted eight prospective corps members on a highway in Zamfara state, en route to the NYSC Orientation Camp in Sokoto.
The NYSC earlier announced the release of three of the abducted corps members on the 18th of September 2023, a month after they had been kidnapped.
The rest of the corps members have now spent just over 60 days in captivity since their abduction in August.