A former governor of Oyo State, Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala, has been reported dead in the early hours of Wednesday in Igbomoso.
Akala, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, was a former governor of the state, between 2007 and 2011.
He was also a deputy governor under former governor, Rashidi Ladoja between 2003 and 2006, when Chief Ladoja was impeached and consequently became the acting governor for eleven months.
An inside source revealed that the late former Alao Akala was discovered dead when they entered his room this morning.
According to the source, the Ogbomoso born retired police officer died in his sleep.
He was said to have returned from Abuja yesterday and held meeting with some people.
Another source in the All Progressives Congress (APC) who confirmed his death to Daily Trust on Wednesday morning said: “It is true that Oga is dead. He died in the early hours of Wednesday in his room in Ogbomoso. He was full of life last night. In fact, I head he was playing with his children before he went to bed. We are in a mourning mood now,” he said.
HERE ARE 17 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT Late Adebayo Alao-Akala
1. Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala was born on June 3, 1950, in Ogbomoso North Local Government Area of Oyo State
2. He was a politician and former police officer.
3. He was a former Governor of Oyo State and a candidate of the ADP in the 2019 Governorship election in Oyo State.
4. Alao-Akala had his elementary school at Osupa Baptist Day School, Ogbomoso
5. He proceeded to the Kamina Barracks Middle School, 5th Battalion of Infantry in Tamale, Ghana.
6. He Passed Staff College (Psc) in 1990.
7. He has Diploma in Business Administration in 1998.
8. He became a Doctor of Civil Law (DCL) Honoris Causa, LAUTECH, Ogbomoso in 2006 and Doctor of Science (Political Science) Honoris Causa, Lead City University, Ibadan in 2008.
9. Alao-Akala was enlisted as Cadet Inspector of Police in June 1974, at the Nigeria Police College, Ikeja.
10. He was recommended for overseas training at the Hendon Police College, in London.
11. He also attended the Administrative Staff College, Topo, Badagry; the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Victoria Island, Lagos; Police Staff College, Jos; Command and Staff College, Jaji. Otunba Alao-Akala has participated as a Nigerian delegate at two INTERPOL conferences in Nice, France and in Málaga, Spain.
12. From the position of Station Officer in the Nigeria Police, he became the Administrative Officer, Federal Operations at the Force Headquarters, Lagos. He later rose to the position of Operations Officer, FEDOPS, Lagos. He became the Personal Assistant to the Assistant Inspector-General of Police and subsequently the ADC to the Inspector-General of Police.
13. He served as the Deputy Governor of Oyo State from May 2003 to January 2006.
14. Following the impeachment of then-incumbent Governor (Rashidi Ladoja), Alao-Akala was sworn into office as Governor in January 2006 and served for 11 months. In December 2006, the impeachment was overturned by the Supreme Court and Rashidi Ladoja was reinstated
15. Alao-Akala contested and won the gubernatorial election in 2007 under the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and became the Executive Governor of Oyo state, serving a full term till May 2011.
16. In October 2018, he defected to the Action Democratic Party (ADP) where he won the gubernatorial ticket to contest for the office of Governor of Oyo State in the 2019 general elections. After the 23rd February 2019 Presidential and National Assemblies Elections, Akala defected back to the All Progressive Congress, thereby stepping down in the race to become Governor of Oyo State under the platform of the Action Democratic Party.
17. He had seven children.