Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has reacted to a viral video of about 500 Nigerians being dehumanized by the authorities in Ghana.
In the video that has now gone viral, the Nigerians who were arrested were pleading for help after they were dumped at border area. One of them who who recorded the video said,
“It’s a very terrible something. Our situation here is very very terrible. We have talked and talked, yet they refused. They used security and Immigration to detain us here. Which is very very back.
The only thing they did was to give us canopy to shade us from the sun. No food. They starved us since then. Since Tuesday they brought us to Aflao, they have not given us food till today that is Saturday. We have been calling. Nothing to do. No one is helping us. Whatever help you people can give us, please, help us.”
The NIDCOM Chairman in her reaction to the video said the Nigerian mission in Ghana is dealing with the matter.
Abike also alleged that some Nigerians who escaped from a jail break in the country have been escaping to Ghana.
“The Nigerian mission in Ghana is dealing with the matter. Some prisoners who allegedly escaped from a jail break here in Nigeria have been allegedly found escaping to Ghana during this period .through illegal means. The Nigerian mission has been engaging the Ghanaian authorities.”
See the video below.
Meanwhile, the Association of Nigerians in Ghana have urged the federal government to take urgent steps to stop the harassment of Nigerians living in the neighbouring country, saying some are being subjected to unfair treatment by Ghanaian authorities.
Chukwuemeka Nnaji, President of the Nigerian Union of Traders Association in Ghana (NUTAG) made call in a telephone interview with the New Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday.
He said the 500 Nigerians were arrested by Ghanaian immigration and moved to the Aflao border without proper investigation to ascertain how they got to that country.
“This is not acceptable; we accord respect to the Ghanaian authorities but sometimes they do not reciprocate.
“Those people were victims of a Ghana-based company “Q-Net” with collaborators in Nigeria who deceive people by telling them that there is employment in Ghana and that the job will pay $250 a week.
“They collect between 400 and 500 cedes from them and then they get nothing.
“Nobody knows how they do it, but they smuggle in people from Nigeria to Ghana.
“Unsuspecting Nigerians come to Ghana and they become stranded. Government needs to take urgent measures,” Mr Nnaji said.